For 6 gal @ about 75% efficiency:
5# pils
4.5# raw white wheat
1# of flaked oats
1.75oz (2.7%) Tettnanger @60min
.5oz bitter orange @15min
.5oz coarsely crushed (not pulverized) coriander @5min
.25oz (2.7%) Tettnanger @0 flame-out
WLP400 - Belgian Wit yeast
Mashed much differently than the first two times I brewed it -- I really didn't feel like a 4-step mash this time, I just mashed-in at 1qt/# for a 30min rest at about 130-133F, then infused up to 150F for an hour. No rice hulls, and my run-off went perfect. (*knock-wood*, I've still never had a stuck mash.) Hit my kettle gravity of 1.040 pretty much dead-on (calculation said 1.041...close enough for me!)
I got the WLP400 from a fellow brew club member. I was flipping through the March 2005 BYO and noticed they had a Wit that uses WLP400. The article said it tends to be quite wild at the beginning 'throwing all the yeast outta the carboy' or something like that. That assessment is pretty much true -- the very artistic yeast-spray on my ceiling will attest to that. ;)
Anyway, it's still burpling away quite nicely. I can't wait to bottle this one. 
Monday, April 18, 2005
Captains BrewLog, Date 4/16/2005:
Posted by Jason Poll at 10:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello! Hey, save one for me....sounds wonderful.
Hug the family for me.
Grandma Sue :-)
DOH! Now how's that for doing too many things at once? I ment to post this to my personal blog. I accidentally posted it here. I then copied it over to my personal blog, and forgot to delete the post here. . . Oh well!
Post a Comment