Sunday, May 07, 2006

-THE- Sandwich

Ok, everyone must try this sandwich.

I *love* it. It's like a hacked-up version of a reuben. How it came to be is a bit of happen-stance, and I can take none of the credit. Heather was making creative use of left overs and came up with this. Here's how to make it.

First, get yourself some saurkraut, a ring of polska kielbasa, and some caraway seeds. Slide and quarter the slices of kielbasa. Dump the kielbasa, and kraut and 'some' (very specific measurement,) caraway seed. Cook it on the stove for 'a while' (another specific measurment.) You should end up with something that looks a bit like this:


Then, get the rest of your sammich fixings:

That's rye bread, cheese (anything works, but you have your standard processed American cheese slice here,) and spicy mustard. You *really* want the mustard in the picutre. Other spicey mustards may work, but I love that Walmart-brand 'Southwest Spicy' mustard on this sandwich.

Ok, now, lightly toast the bread smother with mayo, lay on the cheese, lop on the kraut+kielbasa mix, and top with the mustard, like so:

(oops...forgot the mustard for the picture.)

Chow down. I have a hard time eating just one. . . *drooooool*

(I must note that buying a silly kids plate is a necessity in enjoying this sandwich.)

Let me know if anyone tries this!

4 comments:

Jason Poll said...

Jay forgot to add a few things about this little dish. BTW, it's just easier for me make a comment right now instead of going back to edit his post. So anyway, you can slow cook the kraut and meat all day if you want, that saves you having to actually do any cooking if you're busy. Also, you need to melt the cheese ontop of the kraut (before puttig on the dressings), this just tastes better. And I think a swiss cheese would be the best cheese to use, we just haven't done it yet. I hope whoever tries this enjoys it as much as Jay and I do, and Noah likes it as well. :)

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm, very yummy sounding/looking. Must be the German coming out in you! 8-D

Maybe we could do these when you guys visit.
Thanks for the post....you ough to put this on allreceipes.com

Grandma Sue

a side note, took my new kayak for a maiden voyage on the AuSable Sunday afternoon. Great time! Kellia took the other one. Had some fun..no spills thank goodness...river is still pretty cold. lol

Anonymous said...

I am making that for lunch. Mmmm.... Where do I get the mustard? And who cuts your cheese?

Jason Poll said...

Um, the post says you can get the mustard from WalMart. ;P