Saturday, May 31, 2008

GFCF Mega FAQ

If you're curious about this whole GFCF diet and "how can you eat without wheat and dairy?", let me point you to the ultra-mega GFCF FAQ.

It'll answer just about any of your questions. That site is great, other than it keeps trying to direct you to buy their books. Don't get me wrong, ra-ra-ra, go capitalism, but when I first came across http://www.gfcfdiet.com/I thought it was an ad-site trying to sell something, and that's all. Thankfully I looked a little deeper and found it that it was a great treasure trove of information.

So what do we eat now? What you're might really be asking is: "What do you eat instead of milk, and bread?" First, for milk, there's soy, rice and almond milks, some of which I'm making myself, but until we get the a decent calcium supplement figured out, we'll probably keep buying organic soy milk from Wally-world in a 2-half-gallong pack for $5.30-ish. It's spendy, but not horrendously so (like goat milk -- $3.67 for a quart at Wally...yeesh.) As far as bread goes, I've made a few different types of bread loaves in the bread machine with non-wheat flours, like sorghum, white/brown rice flours, tapioca, corn and potato starch/flours, millet flour, garbanzo bean, navy bean and fava bean flours. The bread we're making is probably more nutritious than any other bread we've ever made before going GFCF. Our current favorite is this Multigrain Sandwich Bread recipe. Just last night I made a loaf, and instead of using the regular bread cycle, I used the 80-minute "ExpressBake" cycle that sounds exactly like a gluten-free cycle found on some other bread machines. It worked great and the bread turned out wonderful. Honestly, I'm having more luck making GFCF breads than I ever have with wheat bread. Just about every wheat bread I've ever made has fallen in the middle right about the time it started baking. Conversely, every single GFCF bread loaf I've ever made did not fall. Pretty snazzy. :)

Finding GFCF recipes on the net is pretty easy, but I've been finding that my favorite recipes are coming from the My Aspergers Girl blog. Every single recipe we've tried has turned out above-and-beyond awesome.

But anyway, I really just wanted to link the GFCF Diet FAQ.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well that is just groovy as all get out-- I've bookmarked the site, and the list of prohibition and labeled it "list of no-no's when doing a Poll pot luck" :) So you see, I do have a plan....

Anyway, I'm wondering how come I didn't find this part of your bloggspot the last time I looked..I just found the work stuff, that you say is the geeky stuff...

Lovin' the family section! Thanks for sharing it..talk to ya later

Erin said...

Thanks for the shout-out. Love your family blog. Pix of the kids are beyond cute. :)
erin